Who or what is the Holy Spirit?
- An actual person – ‘he’ not ‘it’ – John 16:7-15
- Equal to Father & Son as a member of the Godhead. Luke 3:31-22 – The Father spoke, the Son was baptised and the Spirit descended
- To lie to the Spirit is to lie to God – Acts 5:3,4
The Spirit is God in action:
- Involved in creation – Genesis 1:2
- The Spirit came upon Sampson, Gideon and David to give them power to do work for God – Judges 14:19; 6:34; 1 Sam.16:13
- The Spirit now to be with God’s people for ever – John 14:16-17. Seen throughout the New Testament.
- In the Bible, holy men spoke as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit – 2 Pet.1:20-21
Jesus was the perfect example of the Spirit-filled life:
- Born by the Spirit – Matt.1:18; Lk.1:35
- Anointed by the Spirit – Matt.3:16
- Led by the Spirit – Matt.4:1
- Death through the Spirit – Heb.9:14
- Resurrection by the Spirit – Rom.1:4; 8:11
In the Christian:
- Born of the Spirit – John 3:5-8
- Our bodies become the temple of the Holy Spirit – 1 Cor.3:16
- We know God lives in us because he has given us of his Spirit – 1 John 4:13
- The Spirit opens up the Bible to us – 1 Cor.2:12-16
- He has anointed us and set his seal of ownership on us and the Spirit is in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come – 2 Cor.1:21-22
- The gifts of the Spirit – 1 Cor.12:7-11. Given to different people. Not everyone has them all. There are more gifts too.
- The Spirit gives us access to the Father – Eph.2:18
- Baptism in the Spirit – Mark 1:8; Lk.3:16; Matt.3:11; John 1:33; Acts 1:5; 11:16; 2:1-4; 1 Cor.12:13
- Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit – Matt.12:31-32. Only those who have received grace and knowingly and deliberately turn against it are guilty
- Grieving and quenching the Spirit – Eph.4:30; 1 Thess.5:19. Caused by not confessing and dealing with sin, and by halting or limiting the Spirit’s activity in our life
- v.16 live by the Spirit
- v.25 keep in step with the Spirit. We need to develop a relationship with the Lord that makes it easy to feel the Spirit, so that we can live a happy and victorious life in practicality as well as spiritually
- v.22-23 the fruit of the Spirit – qualities that all Christians should show in their lives.